Trucking Accidents

In 2007 alone, more than 350,000 trucking accidents occurred in the United States according to the .  Because of the size of these vehicles, they often cause some of the most serious injuries and deaths.  The following are answers to frequently asked questions regarding trucking accidents:


Q: Why are trucking accidents different from other accidents?

A: There are many trucks traversing Louisiana's roadways, but the majority of trucks are crossing state lines on their delivery routes.  Once trucks cross state lines, federal laws apply. Most personal injury claims involving a motor vehicle collision involve state, not federal law; truck accident cases are distinctly different in that they require a thorough understanding of commercial vehicle regulations on both a state and federal level.   

The (Title 49, Parts 350-399) govern all vehicles engaged in traffic across state lines.  Under these regulations, commercial drivers and their employers must keep logbooks, trip documentation, fuel receipts for six months and vehicle maintenance records for a year.  When an accident involving a truck occurs, all documents related to the truck must be preserved.  These regulations also limit drivers to driving a maximum of 11 hours in any 14-hour period, which must be followed by ten hours of rest.


Q: Who can be held responsible for my injuries in a trucking accident?

A: Unlike automobile accidents, truck drivers are typically working for an employer.  This means that in many situations, multiple parties might be held liable.  It is unfortunately common for employers to forge or falsely alter the federally-required logbooks and maintenance records and to hire drivers without first investigating their training and employment history.  This means that you might be able to recover from several parties, including the:

  • Truck manufacturer
  • Truck driver
  • Truck owner
  • Trucking company
  • Truck maintenance company
  • The insurers of any of the above parties


Q: What can I do if I was injured in a trucking accident away from home?

A: Trucking accidents tend to happen most frequently on interstates, where people are often driving from one state to another and are traveling away from home.  If you are from Louisiana and injured away from home, or if you were traveling through Louisiana when the accident occurred, you have several options as to where you can file your claim, including:

  • Your state of residency
  • The state where the accident occurred
  • Where the trucking company does business
  • The state where the trucking company is incorporated

An experienced trucking accident attorney will examine the facts of your case and advise you on the specific options available to you.  Additionally, we will help you determine where it would be most advantageous for you to file your lawsuit. 

Due to the often catastrophic nature of trucking accidents, and the fact that they involve federal and state transportation and commerce laws, these cases require legal representation with specialized knowledge of the issues unique to trucking accident cases.  At the Reeves Law Firm, we have extensive experience successfully litigating trucking accident cases.  Contact us today for a free initial consultation regarding your case.

The Reeves Law Firm
Attorneys at Law

381 Highway 21 Suite 205
Madisonville, LA 70447

Toll Free: 866.916.0731
Fax: 985.845.4372

This web site is designed for general information only. The information presented at this site should not be construed to be formal legal advice nor the formation of a lawyer/client relationship. [ Site Map ] [ Bookmark Us ]